Thursday, January 27, 2011

WESTERN CHILI RICE AND ANTICIPATION


WESTERN CHILI RICE adapted from Home Cooking Magazine
I do not have many rice recipes, so anything that makes rice more exciting without having to add meat is a great find. I figure adding some chili beans to this dish would make it a pretty hardy meatless dish.
2 Tbsp butter
1 C chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 C chicken or beef broth
2 C uncooked long grain rice
1 can (10 oz) tomato soup
1 Tbsp marjoram
1 1/4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
chopped cilantro for garnish, if desired


In large skillet/stock pot saute butter, onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Add broth, rice, tomato soup, marjoram, chili powder, oregano, cumin and salt. Cover and simmer until all liquid has been absorbed by rice, about 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle chopped cilantro over individual servings, if desired.

I am not-so-patiently waiting for our new computer to arrive. I am like a dorky little kid waiting for someone to come over and play; everytime I hear something that sounds remotely like a large truck I rush to the window to look out hopeful that it is my new computer. Today is the earliest possible delivery date, it could arrive as late as next Wednesday...this could be a long week. On a more positive note I began bribing Evan to use the toilet with Hershey kisses and it's working like a charm. The little angel has been using the toilet for 2 days straight...I knew the shyster could do it but just lacked the motivation. I think that once we go out and buy a new dryer, oh yeah last night the dryer took a dump, I will put him into underpants during the day. Yes underpants! I am not going to let him backslide again and knowing that there will inevitably be accidents I am not going to torture myself by having loads of laundry with no dryer to dry them.

No comments:

Post a Comment