Wednesday, January 12, 2011

BEEF ROLLS AND RECIPE ARCHIVAL

I like doing something different with ground beef, and while this recipe might need a bit more tweeking, they are different and you can make easy variations by adding different spices to the biscuit mix and topping the rolls with cheese or anything your heart desires.
BEEF ROLLS adapted from Where's Mom Now That I Need Her?
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 C chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 C catsup
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Adobo seasoning
1/4 tsp pepper
3 C biscuit mix
2/3 C milk
1 tsp garlic powder
1 C shredded cheese
2 Tbsp flour
2 C hot water
2 beef bouillon cubes
1/4 tsp salt
dash pepper

Brown ground beef in large skillet; add onions and garlic, cook until tender. Stir in catsup, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper; set aside. In large bowl combine biscuit mix, garlic powder, shredded cheese and milk; knead until smooth. Roll out into a rectangle about 15"x 8" or until biscuit is less then 1/4" thick. Spread with meat mixture. Roll up jelly roll style and pinch seam shut. Slice into 1" slices, arrange in ungreased cookie sheet cut-side up, sprinkle some more cheese on top if desired, and bake at 475 degrees for 10 minutes. In pan used to cook the beef, stir in 1 Tbsp flour. Dissolve bouillon cubes in hot water and pour into pan; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Pour gravy over beef rolls.

I received this book, Where is Mom Now That I Need Her?, from a family member and really dug the whole concept which got me started thinking (yes, this is when I am most dangerous, when the gears are grinding and the smoke is escaping from my ears) about making my own version, loosely based off this for my boys. I would like to make one for each boy filling it with great tips, short cuts, and their favorite recipes. That is when I realized my own archival methods were seriously deficient. I went on the quest, not unlike the quest for holy grail, I had to find the ultimate recipe archival method. I think for myself I needed something I could change without having to re-write recipes because ever so often I change my mind on how things should be organized. Yes, I like to switch it up in the middle of the game, this goes for most aspects of the household Mister is still looking for the whisk and the trash can in the wrong places because I rearranged; it's why they love me so.

My favorite way to keep recipes now is in a series of small 9"x & 7 1/2" three-ring binders with the plastic pages that hold two 3x5 cards. This way I put all my recipes on cards and not only can I shift pages around, but also the individual recipes as well. I have one book for desserts and the other contains the rest however, I am thinking that I need another binder so I can separate the main courses out from the other categories. See that is the beauty of my system, I can do that with minimal effort and NO rewriting or crossing off recipes. So now things are orderly; the ground beef recipes are all together, the chicken recipes hang out in another section and my seafood recipes are contained all in one spot. I can add new recipes in and they all go into the appropriate sections, none of this mucking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment