Wednesday, January 19, 2011

SQUARE FOOT GARDENING AND FLUFFY FROSTING

Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew, is interesting. I like the concept and I half-attempted it last year just because my way of thinking is usually askew from the norm. The idea behind square foot gardening is that you make your garden into plots of 4'x 4' plots. One plot is enough for 1 person's worth of fresh produce, but not enough to save for the winter. The plot is broken down into 12" squares and you plant a crop in each square, the number of plants per square depends on each plants spacing needs. For example you can fit 1 tomato plant in 1 square or 16 carrot plants in 1 square. Carrots only require 3" spacing while a tomato requires 12" of space. Of course this book advocates vertical crops, which I am already a fan of and had every intention of doing more of this in the garden. I already grow peas and tomatoes vertically, like most people, but after seeing a special on Disney's garden I wanted to grow my cucumber vertically as well. Well this book has inspired me to also grow my melon and squashes vertically too. Already committed to the boxes Mister made for me last year I will break up the boxes (4' x10') into 4' plots and leave a 1' by 4' swatch between plots and at the front of the box for herbs and beneficial flowers (marigold and nasturtium).

I am excited to see if some of the information I gleaned from the book produces noticeable results. In true Linda fashion I managed to make many mistakes last year and I am ready to make a whole new load of mistakes this year. LOL I am learning...all preparation for one day having more land  and a bigger garden; a girl can dream.

This next recipe is my all-time favorite white frosting recipe. I found it in the booklet that came with my Kitchen Aid stand mixer.
FLUFFY FROSTING
Imagine a mix between marshmallow creme and vanilla frosting...yeah I know your mouth is watering too. It has a nice airy consistency and tastes a bit like marshmallow. I could eat just the frosting and forgo the cake.
1 1/2 C sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C water
1 1/2 tbsp light corn syrup
2 egg whites
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Place sugar, tartar, salt, water and corn syrup in a saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves completely, forming a syrup.

Place egg whites in mixer bowl. Whip egg whites until they begin to hold shape, almost soft peaks. Continue beating while slowly pour hot syrup into egg whites in a fine stream and whip 1-1 1/2 minutes. Add vanilla and whip 5 minutes more until frosting loses its gloss and stands in stiff peaks. Frost cake immediately.
Frosts: 12-16 servings; 2 layer cake or 13x9x2 inch cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment