Friday, January 7, 2011

A DAY OFF WITH FRENCH FRIES AND SNOW ICE CREAM

Early this morning the automated school phone called us...NO SCHOOL TODAY!

We spent the morning outside and the boys played like crazy loons. Meanwhile back at the bat lair I put out a plastic food keeper on the back porch to catch snow. While the boys played I carried out my secret mission. Baba (grandma) came outside to watch the boys and I came back in to start french fries and put together the ingredients for snow ice cream.




BAKED FRENCH FRIES


potatoes (au natural, don't even bother peeling those bad boys)
salt
garlic
olive oil
I cut the potatoes up, sliced them into 1/2" thick medallions.
Then I lay those medallions on their sides and cut them into french fries.
Then I put them into a bowl and drizzle on some olive oil, sprinkle with salt and garlic powder to taste. I put a plate over top of the bowl and shake for all I am worth, coating all the fries. Then I lay the fries out on a aluminium foil-lined baking sheet that has been generously sprayed with PAM. Keep the fries in a single layer and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then pull them out and flip them over, bake again for another 15 minutes. Depending on how thick or thin you cut your fries along with personal preference regarding crispy or soggy will dictate how long to keep cooking your fries. I usually take mine out about now; I like a golden coat on my fries, but still a little soft in the mid section, kinda like me.


SNOW ICE CREAM adapted combination of Almost Unschoolers and Paula Deen

Ingredients
8 cups snow, or shaved ice
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon instant, vanilla pudding mix ( I used French Vanilla pudding)
6 cups of clean snow.

Mix everything together until thick milk-shake like mixture, cover and place outside for 15 minutes, then add 4 more C of snow or until thick and ready to eat.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment