Monday, December 27, 2010

HOLIDAY POUND CAKE AND A POWER OUTAGE


Another winner from the Taste of Home Best Holiday Recipes (2005). This one is wonderful without any frosting or glaze, but I had some leftover glaze from the doughnuts we made on Christmas...not wanting to waste I practiced my frugality and slathered it on the cake while it was warm. So thank you Virginia Loew of Leesburg, FL for sending this one in all three of my boys and the husband love this bread.

HOLIDAY POUND CAKE
1 1/2 C sugar
1 C vegetable oil
3 eggs
3 C all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 can (15 oz) solid-pack pumpkin ( I like to use my own pumpkin puree about 2 C)

In mixing bowl, blend sugar and oil. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and cloves; add to egg mixture alternately with pumpkin. Pour into greased 12-C fluted tube pan.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 60-65 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto wire rack. Remove from pan; cool completely. Dust with confectioner's sugar or pour glaze on top if desired. Yield 12-16 servings.

We woke up this morning and almost immediately the power went off and on about 8 times. I am nothing if not persistent each time the power returned I would turn on the TV, and just about the time the cable reacquired the power would go out. E would scream and then so would A, I finally lit some candles and the boys seemed happy with the light they produced. The power ultimately failed for the last time around 6am. We did not get power back until 11:30 am, and I was thankful, the house was getting a little cold and the milk I stuck out in the snow was freezing. Let me take time to praise the LED lantern, I want more of them in all sizes the large one we have lights an entire room. It was an adventure of hot cocoa and grilled cheese sandwiches on the camp stove I hope to never have to repeat that indoors again. After the power returned I let the boys go play outside. They had fun...
Is it bad that I unconsciously lock the doors behind them when they go outside? I really do not do it intentionally, poor orphan waif.

No comments:

Post a Comment