Monday, December 6, 2010


That is how it has been the past week, which is why I did not write this weekend. I have a feeling that the rest of the month will be much the same. This weekend we managed to decorate the Christmas tree, and mister bought me a Christmas present...a new camera, of course NOT Nikon. I am hoping to get this camera Wednesday/Thursday so I can start taking pics again.

I just made an outstanding Texas Sheet Cake that came from my mother via an aunt. Here is the recipe in case you want to give it a go.


1 3/4 C flour
2 C sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 C water
1/2 C butter
1/2 C unsweetened cocoa
1/2 C buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

Icing (goes on hot cake!):
6 Tbsp butter
1/3 C milk
1/2 C unsweetened cocoa
2 3/4 C powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla

Grease a 15"x10" jelly roll pan and dust with flour. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Combine water, butter, and 1/2C cocoa in small saucepan; bring to a boil and stir. Remove from heat; pour into the flour mixture. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Add buttermilk, 1 tsp vanilla and eggs, beat well. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 17-20 minutes. Place on wire rack once it comes out of the oven (it will pull away from sides of pan when it is done baking). Prepare icing by combining 6 tbsp butter, milk, cocoa in saucepan and bring to a boil, stir. Remove from heat and gradually add powdered sugar, and 2 tsp vanilla. Stir smooth and then pour over hot cake.

Just a note the icing will want to run down sides of the cake, so pour icing towards the middle part of cake and work it out to the sides.

So yes that is what I was doing today, in addition to the daily laundry, cleaning and dousing the house with Lysol in efforts to keep Evan healthy so he can have his dental work done. I also had to lay out some Geotrax for the young laddie because I said I would, so I also managed to go through some of the many clothes in Evan's stockpile, pull some too small out and organize it, sort of. I have not had any time to quilt today and I am behind. While I was baking the school called, and I was thinking since we have had snow squalls since late morning the kids were being dismissed early. Nope, it was the school nurse and thanks to my son she and I are on a first name basis, yes, she even knows me by sight. My son is a fast eater, that is being kind the child inhales food like a vacuum. He was back at the nurses because his stomach hurt. Of course he had already eaten lunch, so she stood him by the toilet and finished helping another child. K is not one for tissues, all that nose blowing takes too much time, so because he snorts it up the mucous decided to come out another way, and sans fever he is sent back to the classroom. Thank you school nurse it is nice to know what my son does all day at school. Poor lady I should really get her a holiday gift.

I had had better get to that quilting, much to be done before Christmas...

No comments:

Post a Comment