Tuesday, December 14, 2010

CINNABON CINNAMON ROLLS AND A KID AT HOME SICK

I made some minor modifications since the directions at all recipes reads for a bread machine, and I do not use bread machines, I like to make mine by hand.


CINNABON CINNAMON ROLL CLONES adapted from allrecipes

Ingredients
1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup butter, melted
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast

1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, softened

1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions
In mixing bowl dissolve yeast into warm milk. Add eggs, butter, salt and sugar and stir. Add flour and mix at low speed until dough comes together. Put in bowl, cover with towel and let rise in a warm, draft free spot for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
Roll dough into a 16x21 inch rectangle. Spread dough with 1/3 cup butter and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving.


On cold days like today I swirl hot water around in my mixing bowl to warm it up, then I add the yeast and warm milk, stir to dissolve. Next, I add the room temperature eggs, salt, melted butter and sugar. I stir it with a silicone scrapper then I start my lovely Kitchen Aid up on low speed, with dough hook attached, and add the flour. Once the dough comes together scrape down the sides and let the mixer go around a couple more times.

Then you can pull that dough out of the bowl, and any pieces of dough/flour left behind, and place them on a floured countertop. This is where you need to go by feel; the dough should be slightly sticky, but not as sticky as it will want to cling to you instead of staying a dough ball.

I spray my mixing bowl with some Pam, toss my ball into the bowl, and then turn it once so that it is lightly coated in grease. Since it is a balmy 10 degrees F outside I heat the oven until it is just warm enough that when I open the door I am tempted to crawl right on in. Do not get the oven too hot or you will cook your dough. Place a dishtowel over the top of the bowl and stick it in the oven let it sit about an hour to double in size.

Then while dough is sitting in oven to double, take the time to wrestle your kid down and force their anti-biotic down their throat.

On a floured surface I roll out the dough until it looks like this…

Then I slather on the yummy butter, I like my softened, not melted and then I sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar mixture. Please try this with chopped pecans sprinkled on top of the cinnamon before rolling, because it really tastes good with the nuts. With all the baking I have been doing around here we are out so I will have do go sans nuts.
Then roll it up…

And now you can cut it into slices, I use a serrated knife and saw through the log starting right down the middle. Then I cut those two in half again so I have 4 separate logs. Each of those 4 logs needs to be cut into thirds so there are a grand total of 12 rolls. Then I place them in my greased pan and cover them up and stick them back into the oven (which is not turned on) to raise one last time, about 1 more hour then they go from this…
to this...


Yuummmmyyy almost good enough to eat, tasty little morsels, but DON’T they are raw. Believe me they are better cooked this is experience speaking. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and bake them for 15-20 minutes, mine always seem to need more then the 15 minutes. They should come out looking like this…


The rolls should be browned on top and when you touch one of the center ones the bread should not be squishy (very technical cooking term). Then you really have to let them cool before frosting unless you like the type of rolls that have the frosting melted in. However, if you are going for the true Cinnabon type experience once the rolls are nearly cool, only slightly warm, slap on that cream cheese frosting! Since I have already licked the beaters I can tell you the frosting is heavenly, it could also do with the fact that I actually use 4 ounces rather then 3 ounces of cream cheese.

Here they are in all their glory, before the vultures swoop down and annihilate them…

I told you those vultures are quick, I just frosted these and barely got a picture, one is already missing.
These are totally DIET-FREE; just remember big girls need lovin’ too.

Well I have a sick boy calling me…it’s the house that TB built. No, not really I do not want to create a panic and find myself quarantined…although most days I already feel detained in my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment