Tuesday, February 1, 2011

SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND STRESS

I am making two meals in my slow cooker today because I am lazy and I am stressed the heck out. I have so much swirling around me that it feels like there is mass hysteria in my mind.  The 3 (nearly 4) year old does not want to potty train, while he has shown me he is quite capable of using the toilet he just does not want to and frankly I am tired of changing diapers. I have been changing diapers for nearly 8 years straight, I had a 2 month hiatus between Kaleb getting trained and the birth of Evan. I am through with changing his diapers, I have offered bribes which worked for a week now the bathroom is too much of an inconvenience again. He will just keep wetting his underware and having accidents I suppose WHATEVER!

Then Mister gets the Cub Scout den dropped in his lap coming on the end of the year. He agreed to take over the den for next year, but come to find out the previous leader is not even going to finish what was started and is just dropping the majority in Mister's lap. I got an email that infuriated me about how as a leader he would not attend the Blue and Gold Ceremony. Mister just agreed yesterday to take over now...after 2 weeks of this person not performing the duties and last minute dumping them on Mister. I am appalled that the comment was made after all the shortcomings this person has confessed.

Kaleb's teacher is a total waste of a year, she is so inconsistent and unreliable I am ready to call the principal on the lack of communication. I have not been given the courtesy of a return call that I requested twice now. I just have this feeling that she is less then enamored with Kaleb (which is whatever since you cannot like every child I suppose) and has not fostered an appropriate level of concern over his success in 2nd grade. I feel like he is being ignored and left to his own devices instead of being included in the classroom. I am seething, I feel the anger hot in my chest starting to fume.

So those being my major gripes for the time being I am lest then thrilled with making dinner. I threw 4 chicken breasts into the slow cooker, added about 2C frozen turkey stock (I made from Thanksgivings carcass) 3 cloves of minced garlic, 1 medium onion sliced, half a green pepper sliced and a 4oz can of green chilies with some water to cover the chicken. Then I mixed together my own fajita seasoning as follows...

FAJITA SEASONING

1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 cube chicken bouillon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp sugar

Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container.

I set the slow cooker on low for 6 hours, seasoned with the fajita seasoning to taste, and I will shred it when it is done cooking. Tonight we will have chicken quesadillas and then later in the week I will use the rest of the shredded chicken to make chicken puffs (new recipe untested).

CHICKEN QUESADILLAS

2 chicken breasts, shredded
package of flour tortillas
1 can (16 oz ) refried beans
2 C shredded mexican cheese
1 medium tomato, diced
sour cream, optional

Place a flour tortilla on a cookie sheet, spread refried beans on tortilla. Personally I like a slightly thick layer of bean, maybe about 1/2 inch while the boys do not care for it at all. Then I place shredded chicken around on top of the bean, as much or as little as you want then cover with cheese, at least a cup's worth because this is what binds your quesadilla together. Quesadilla's are great because the preparer can make them to their liking with as much or as little of the ingredients as you want. Place another tortilla on top of that cheese and place in the oven 350 degrees until cheese melts about 10-15 minutes. Serve with fresh diced tomato and sour cream .

No comments:

Post a Comment