Thursday, February 17, 2011

KIELBASA AND CABBAGE SKILLET AND PARENT TEACHER


PHOTO COURTESY TASTE OF HOME

KIELBASA AND CABBAGE SKILLET 
adapted from Taste of Home
Loved this dish because I have nothing like it, and it is not something I would have normally picked but I am glad I did.

Ingredients

  • 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
  • 4 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 1 large head cabbage (4 pounds), coarsely chopped
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 3 cans (8 ounces each) Hunt’s® Tomato Sauce
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 3 to 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced (my addition)
  • 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce (my addition)

Directions

  • In a Dutch oven, brown the sausage in 2 tablespoons butter; remove
  • and set aside. In the same pan, saute cabbage, garlic and onions in
  • remaining butter until onions are tender.
  • Combine the tomato sauce, sugar and paprika; pour over cabbage
  • mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover ( I would add the potatoes here they took quite a bit longer to cook then 30 minutes) and simmer for 20
  • minutes. Add the potatoes and reserved sausage. Cover and simmer for
  • 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.



Tonight is parent teacher conference, ours is at 5:45pm and I am so not looking forward to this. Many parents, especially those who have girls, get all the wonderful adorations about how well their child sits and does their seat work and how much they participate, not my Kaleb. Kaleb is a dreamer, he is easily distracted and instead of doing his seat work he sits and does nothing. The teacher and I are at an impasse there is nothing more I can do unless I sit beside him at school and nudge him everytime he starts to wander off into thought. The truth is I feel for him, I can't tell him yet, but I used to daydream in school all the time. I remember getting lost in thought only to snap to and have no clue what we were doing in class. Tonight will be filled with us talking about having no idea what to do to make Kaleb do his seat work, how he aces tests, but that will not be enough when he goes to third grade in the other building. SIGH I hate parent teacher conference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment