Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Long-Thread Egg Drop Soup

I had to share this super-simple and tasty recipe I just tried for lunch. It is a cold, gray and rainy day so soup was a natural for lunch. I pulled out one of the many pages I have torn from cooking magazines; this one was from Home Cooking submitted by Gwen Campbell. This soup was so simple and tasty that my mom and I ate the entire pan. Here are some pics along with the recipe.

Long-Thread Egg Drop Soup


2 C spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
4 C canned chicken broth
2 tsp dry sherry
2 tsp soy sauce
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp salt, optional
2 scallions, white part only, cut into rings
Chinese noodles


Prepare spinach, wash thoroughly; remove thick stems. Heat chicken broth, sherry, and soy sauce to the boiling point in a 2-quart saucepan. Add spinach; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Beat eggs lightly in small bowl (I recommend the eggs be at room temp, because if they are cold they will want to drop, instead of stream into soup in the next step). Remove saucepan from heat. Add eggs slowly, in a stream, stirring constantly as you proceed so that they for long threads. Season with salt, if desired. Serve in warmed soup bowls with scallion rings scattered across top of soup and crispy Chinese noodles served on the side. Serves 4-6.

I added goldfish instead and they were mighty tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment